Friday, August 20, 2010

Thanks For Family

You have just read (or will read, depending which way you are going) Nancy’s account of my ordeal. She is an amazing person. She is the founder and director of the Atlanta Women’s Community Bible Study (which is larger than most churches). She is a former elder at Peachtree Presbyterian Church in Atlanta, a trustee at Presbyterian College and a nationally acclaimed author and speaker.

Her husband, Terrence McGuirk, is the Chairman and CEO of the Atlanta Braves. He somehow finds time to do this besides being an almost scratch golfer and the most devoted father to his four children I have ever known.

He also served on the board of Piedmont Hospital when I was a patient in 2009-2010. When I arrived there, Nancy took the next flight to Atlanta from Washington and Terry called in the “A” team. The medical staff at Piedmont is awesome, but having Mr. McGuirk make a call didn’t hurt. Their home is 5 minutes from Piedmont (Our home in Alpharetta is an hour drive) so Barbara, Parker, Micah and all the Philpots became guests at the McGuirk house for the next month.

Nancy never left Barbara’s side during my illness.   I mean, never, ever.  Sisters became sisters again.

My first waking moment was seeing Barbara and Nancy. Then Micah. The next I remember, was waking to see Terry sitting in my room in a chair looking at me. I said, “Terry, I don’t think I want to go back to work when I get well. There’s so much more to life than work. What do you think?” He thought for a moment and said, “Why don’t we discuss that in six months”. Good advice as usual, Terry.

Meggie, Missy, Mary and Terry Jr. (my nieces and nephews) all came to see me during the holidays as they were able. The morphine made me think I could play golf, so they brought me a new golf bag at Christmas along with other gifts. Their home made cards and room decorations were adorable. Missy and Mary prepared a checklist I could use to indicate my needs because I couldn’t speak for awhile. When I insisted on leaving the hospital for Christmas, I wanted to give all the nurses, doctors and aids a Christmas gift. Of course I wasn’t able, so Nancy came through with several copies of her books and other gifts the staff were thrilled to get.

I am so blessed with my brother Tim and his wonderful wife, Sue, (I will never forget Sue making her home made chicken soup for me in our kitchen the first night I was home) (And Tim, don't get me started.  He is everything a big brother is supposed to be)  Barbara’s sister Nancy and her husband Terry. My great kids, Micah, Mary and Parker and Mary’s husband, Gary. Their cousins, Meggie, Terry, Missy and Mary. And my grand kids, Peyton and Brady.

I somehow want to write an entire book on each of these great people.  They know what they have done, and I so want to tell you.   But they are modest and prefer I don't.  Thank you Tim, thank you, Sue.   Thank you Nancy, thank you, Terry.  Thank you kids and cousins.  Micah, my oldest and soul mate; Mary, my sweet heart;  and Parker, my athlete:  There is nothing like family.

No comments:

Post a Comment